DAM Support World Cancer day | February 4th
On the 4th February each year, the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) asks individuals, organisations and governments around the globe to come together in support of World Cancer Day.
Celebrated to not only raise awareness of cancer, but also encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment, the campaign’s theme ‘I can and I will’ seeks to counter negativity and the attitude about the fatalistic belief that nothing can be changed about cancer.
Fast Facts about Cancer:
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally.
- According to the 2018 statistics 9.6 million people have died in cancer and globally 1in 6 death is due to cancer.
- The new cases of cancer are diagnosed every year between the age group of 0-19 years.
- Around 30 to 50% of cancer diseases can be prevented.
- The most common types of cancer in men are lung, prostate, stomach, colorectal, and liver cancer while among the women breast, lung, cervical, colorectal, and thyroid cancer are the most common.
Practicing what we preach
Here at DAM, we want to do all that we can to help increase awareness and education of cancer and other diseases amongst our employees. As well as offering Private Medical Insurance for all of our staff members, we also encourage all of our staff members to attend an annual full-body medical with a local private doctor, completely free of charge. As a one-on-one, confidential service that we allow our staff to attend during their working day, it is our hope that we can help raise awareness amongst about the importance of regular health check-ups, and the benefits of early detection of any illnesses and diseases. And of course, through encouraging our own team to be regularly aware and in sync with their own bodies, we hope that we can inspire them to encourage family and friends to do the same.
We urge you to visit the official website to better understand cancer, as well as discover ways you can help to support the cause: https://www.worldcancerday.org/